Wednesday, 19 February 2014

The "Alice jar" ....

alice jar alice front 1

I decided to try and alter an old coffee jar. I had this old Kenco coffee jar from 7 years ago when i used to drink instant coffee... it has been used for storing pasta or something. so i gave it a makeover.
I started by coating the whole thing in a layer of PVA glue and torn book pages. this gave a good base for paints and mediums etc.

alice jar alice front high 1
I put some random areas of texture paste on it then when that was dry i added paint in green and aqua tones. I stamped out my Alice themed stamps and cut them out. I tinted them with watercolour pencils and stuck them in to place. then i added details with more paints ... i let everything dry and gave it a coat of multi-purpose sealer followed by a coat of one step crackle.
alice jar Rabbit front 1
I used Quinacridone gold to give a rusted and aged look and let it get in to the cracks of the crackle glaze (cleaning off the extra with a damp cloth. (remember a damp cloth will do the same job as a baby wipe but you can use it over and over again without adding more waste to the planet).
alice jar tweedle dee dum front 1

I went over all the raised sections with treasure gold gilt wax and then i added some fabric and lace (stained with paints) and lots of lovely rusty wire that i dangled some charms from...
for the lid I also included some lovely green moss, a few red rose heads and a very cute toadstool.

alice jar lid close up sneek peak
Paint used:
Decoart Traditions:
Quinacridone gold
Blue green light
aquamarine
sap green
Quinacridone Gold
Decoart acrylic:
Indian turquoise
Calico red
lamp black
titanium white

6 comments:

  1. Hello Louise
    I love what you have done to this Jar, it has such wonderful textural elements.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen this little piece IRL I know just how wonderful it is! So much texture, - it has a real Alice feel to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love, love, love this jar! Especially all the texture and the little details that make it worth studying all over again and again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came here to say thank you for leaving a lovely comment on my blog and I am so stoked that I did because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Alice Jar - what a beautiful piece of work - I could look at it for hours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely stunning and so tactile looking. I could spend all day just looking at every single element on it and all the work that has gone into it.

    Love your new hairstyle - it really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your jar, the design and all the texture, I did one in January also with a coffee jar, great fun to try something different - Jens inky adventures.

    ReplyDelete