Sunday, 20 April 2014

Another Vintage journey with blooms and new beginnings.

 I am combining two challenges again today. I had time to play in my craft room and I wanted to do another item for "A vintage journey - Spring blooms". and as i was over on their page i remembered they were Sponsored by Country View crafts (I am a shopaholic there), who also have a challenge blog. I checked it out and the theme there is "New beginnings!. Well spring and new beginnings just go hand in hand do they not? I altered a canvas using the reverse side.

My colour choices were inspired by two things...
1. Some tim holtz distress inks i had in a pile (peeled paint, shabby shutters, scattered straw and wild honey)
2. that special green you only see either in spring or during a thunder storm. you know the way the light changes during thunder and all the green pops? and in spring all the new growth is bright and vibrant. my chosen distress inks remind me of those greens and yellows.

Although the new growth is vibrant and bright, I am incapable of making anything that doesnt look vintage and scruffy ancient (I totally blame Tim Holtz for this obsession lol). so i had to get a cross between new, fresh and vibrant - with - old, distressed and shabby!!
I ended up using paint as i dont have distress stains. i didnt want to use up my pads to cover such a large area on the canvas as it is quite absorbent. I started with DecoArt crackle texture; its a bit like texture paste mixed with plaster... it just dries with crackles. you can even heat dry it with your heat gun. (I like things that are happy to be hurried along with a heat gun)...


"Tim inspirations" include:
1. well obviously my colour pallet chosen from my distress inks as mentioned before
2. the fact I am no longer capable of making anything that looks "modern" lol.
3. i had never heard of altered art until I was given Tims first DVD as a gift. and now altered art is my favourite format. he converted me.
4I have used some tattered flower die cuts for my blossom and one of tims Ephemera pieces (the clock at the back) as well as two of the beautiful ornate feet.

Z x
:)

11 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of turning canvases around too and I love what you have done with yours Louise. The colours are wonderful, rich but shabby, the tattered floral is beautiful and those feet are the perfect finish touch. Thanks so much for joining in over at A Vintage Journey again. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I think I like this one even better, totally gorgeous! Love the egg surrounded by moss, love the yummy flower and those gorgeous Spring colours (my favourites for Easter/Spring deco pieces), starting to run out of adjectives, so will just say, LOVE it!! And thanks of course for adding it to our challenge at AVJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another of your gorgeous 3D pieces Louise, I adore the wonderful Spring feel you have created and thank you for telling us your Tim inspiration which wouldn't have been easy to spot without you telling us. Thanks for sharing it with us at A Vintage Journey, I think you are a permanent traveller for this trip lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning - like Astrid, I think this may be my favourite (and I've seen all three already!). Fabulous finish on the frame and such lovely things inside it! Thank you so much for joining us again on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A stunning 3D project, love how the egg is the main focus and all the details dry your eye to look more.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise...I always love your art! :) This canvas you've turned into such a lovely springlike shadow box is beautiful. I love the crackling. It makes it look so worn and old. I love the colors and I love how you've perched everything on Tim's pedestal feet. Beautifully done! Thanks so much for sharing your art with all of us at A Vintage Journey. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOohh my...it doesn't matter which colour you are using. Love the *Zuzu* style (:o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous canvas Louise! Gorgeous colours with a real springlike feel and the crackling is amazing! Thanks for joining us again at A Vintage Journey. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous canvas, the colours are stunning. Love all the different elements.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love this - just perfect for Spring and I love that yellow! Thank you for joining in with us at Country View Crafts Challenges. Please accept my apologies for the delayed comment, I'm running behind this month and running to catch up!

    ReplyDelete