Monday, 14 April 2014

Lavender's blue... Altered bottle

altered bottle swap zuzu 01
Well I have my decoart chalk finish paints!!!!! I love them. and just to be clear, although many folks are showing them on large furniture style items (which it IS great for), its also great on small projects and is beautiful to stamp on with its chalky finish. so this makes it great for tags and other mixed media stamping projects too. it crackles as well as any acrylic when used in conjunction with a crackle medium. I am in danger of gushing on about this paint.
Anyway, to get on.... I altered this bottle for a "bottle and jar" swap I organised on my facebook page. I have put lavender oil in it to make it a "Lavender bottle".
altered bottle swap zuzu 02
Firstly i glued on the little "embroideries" and some narrow lace. i made sure the glue (just simple PVA wood glue does fine) covered all the glass. it just makes it easier to paint I feel. next I gave it a coat of  "Rustic (a rusty brown)" DecoArt chalk paint. I let that dry and due to my glue still being a bit tacky, lovely crackles began to form as it all dried.
altered bottle swap zuzu 03
(PVA glue is a cheap alternative to crackle medium although not quite as reliable and effective.) then i gave it a coat of  "Serene (a sort of duck egg blue)"  Chalk finish paint. I highlighted the raised bits and some bits of the bottle with Treasure gold and treasure jewels in golds and blues, glued on some torn bits of tissue paper and added some beads and lace.  the cameo in the middle is an "artemio brad". I just pulled the brad bit off the back.
and there you have it. an altered bottle.
I hope my recipient liked her swap. It was fun to do.

8 comments:

  1. Divine!
    In fact you are making my fingers twitching as it is a long time since I last altered a bottle.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling over this Louise it is stunning and as I have just bought some of the chalk paints I really want to try this out. Love your colours and the textures xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this as you already know, and I am so happy to have it in my possession. It really is a gorgeous piece, with so many fine details. Thank you for taking the time to make me something so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, this is out of this world gorgeous!!! Wow, that duck egg blue really does it for me!! Saw Mark play with the paints at Ally Pally, it really seems to be the most wonderful stuff!!! LOVE this BIG time and hope to see it soon IRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I didn't realise this was done with chalk paint, I think it is so lovely. I am loving the paint too, but it is so hard to decided what colours to get next! I just love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to get my hand on some chalk paint!! Love your bottle, A beautiful piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous altered bottle Louise....I love the colours and texture on the glass as well as the fabulous embellishments.

    TFS
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete