Monday, 5 May 2014

A Vintage Journey: Fond Memories of my mum.


The Journey this time at "A Vintage Journey" is "fond memories". I have chosen to do something about my mum and I have used a photo that, although I was not around for the memory it's self, I remember my mother and grandmother showing me the photo and telling me the story of my mums "unfortunate" hair cut.
 When she was a little girl, she had decided to give herself a hair cut one day. it was truly dire and she knew she might get in to trouble. she decided to get rid of the evidence (? lol) as in her childs head, there was some logic to that. so she hid the scissors and threw away the bits of hair. I think she maybe forgot her mother had eyes and the real evidence was the state of my mums hair. it was "saved" by giving her the old fashioned "bowl cut" lol. 
And here she is the next day in the photo. its a bit blurry as its printed on to calico, so here is the original.
My Tim Holtz influences:

1st: well I have been admiring a lot of his collage style canvases and such he has been doing recently. I wanted to do one of my own but with lighter colours and utilising fabric more than paper.  So this is sort of my version of those collages.
2nd: It uses a fair few Tim products like distress stains (antique linen and vintage photo) the belt buckle brad, stamps ( damask, apothecary text, and classic #11 (I think) )i used some of his ephemera as my mum really did get a perfect attendance award from school, the ephemera butterflies,  some paper (the ruler) and some of his rose fabric trim stuff (which i forget the name of).

I made one of these with a photo of my dad a while back. so now i have a matching pair :)

16 comments:

  1. This is lovely, and I enjoyed reading the story, too. You combined all the elements really well. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Zuzu, love your softer version Tim's collage style, beautifully put together and so very vintage!! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge and for sticking to our "rules"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Louise,
    Such a lovely piece relating good memories, yes we can all relate to the children attacking their hair!
    Not over doing the elements gives more focus to the image; great designing.
    Smiles:)
    Suie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, I just love this hanging and the story behind it! The image of your Mum's self-given haircut is truly a humorous treasure of childhood doings! I remember one of my sisters trimming her eyebrow with my electric shaver! Wonderful details and thank you for sharing such a Fond Memory with us at A Vintage Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both of these pieces and the beautiful additions you have surrounding your wonderful photographs

    Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise...I loved reading about your mother's mishap with the scissors. Such a cute story and the photograph is priceless. :) I love your wall hanging you've created. And the one of your father is also beautifully done. What wonderful keepsakes. The "evidence" on your mom's hanging really cracked me up as she thought to get rid of the evidence! Such a beautiful piece with lace, butterflies, little bits of this and that. I also love the sweet little vintage hanger that you've used to hang it from. Thanks so much for sharing your story and your art with us at A Vintage Journey. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful hanging Louise (to go with the equally beautiful one of your Dad). I love the story of the hair cut (my GD did the same recently....) and how she tried to destroy the evidence, I can just imagine that. Thank you for being so clear about your Tim inspiration and thank you for joining our Fond Memories Challenge at a Vintage Journey too. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous piece Louise. I adore the tones you have achieved, so soft and subtle - and the textures look amazing. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beauty! Something to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your hanging, the colours are perfect for the subject. I laughed at the story! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful story, and what a gorgeous collage hanging - just lovely. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh bless your mum Louise!!! At least she doesn't seem to have minded being photographed and that's meant you got to create this fabulous collage. I adore the way you've taken those Tim influences and run with them in your own style. Hats off to you and thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Louise :-) ......you made me smile as I read this story and recalled a similar situation when my son cut his hair !
    I love the colours and wonderful details in this amazing treasured memory of your mum. Thank you for sharing at A Vintage Journey this fortnight
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Louise this is such a beautiful piece. What a brilliant story about your mum wanting to rid the evidence...how beautiful the mind of a child is! Love the one with your dad too, stunning. Oh and THANKYOU so much for your visit and kind comment. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely tribute to your dear Mum with such lovely memories. I like the way you have hung it on the hanger, the colours are beautiful. Hugs Barb x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous story & a great photo to add to your piece. A truly great memory to treasure.

    ReplyDelete